Thursday, September 22, 2005

Welcome to my Blog!

This blog documents my quest to build a modern, realistic dollhouse.

This started out as a "mental" project so I wouldn't think about work. Since most dollhouses are victorian, I thought that building something modern would be unique. There is an additional challenge in making it realistic because the floorplans of houses today don't let themselves to front-opening doll houses. But, I'm always up for a good challenge so.....I bought a dollhouse kit that I thought I could modify the way I wanted. Unfortunately, I overmodified it and couldn't figure out how to fix it. So, I put the pieces away (it was still just a box full of MDF) and let 2 years go by.

A few weeks ago, my sister-in-law started working on the family-hierloom dollhouse and I got the bug to try again. I dug out the box and still couldn't figure out how to fix the problem that I had worked myself into. Finally, I stopped trying. I bought a jigsaw and a few sheets of MDF board and started over.

There's still no dollhouse, but at least I have cut out, sanded and primed the main pieces. I wish I had taken a picture of how much dust was involved, but I'm guessing that sometime during this process I'll get another chance to create a huge pile of dust.

Of course, I still don't have much more than a pile of wood in a box, but it feels like I have made progress, and that's almost the same as actually making progress, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home